Rules of entry and exit defines the Federal Law «On procedure of exit and entry of the Russian Federation»

Passport Information:

The main documents that prove identity of the citizen of the Russian Federation and give citizens the right to leave or enter the Russian Federation are:

  • passport;
  • diplomatic passport;
  • service passport;
  • seaman’s passport (seaman’s ID);
  • permit for return to the country of citizenship.

A citizen of the Russian Federation can not be deprived of the right to enter the Russian Federation. If a citizen of the Russian Federation has lost the passport (diplomatic passport, service passport, seaman’s passport) beyond the borders of the Russian Federation or if the passport expires, the corresponding diplomatic representatives or the consular office of the Russian Federation gives him/her a temporary document that proves his/her identity and gives the right to enter (return to) the Russian Federation.

A foreign citizen — a natural person, who is not the citizen of the Russian Federation and has a document that confirms his foreign citizenship.

Foreign citizens can enter and leave the Russian Federation with Russian visa and valid documents that prove their identity and accepted by the Russian Federation as such, except as specifically set forth in the international agreements of the Russian Federation. A foreign citizen is supposed to fill in the migration card which, together with the document, that proves foreign Citizen’s identity, is given to the official of the body of passport control in the access gate through the State border of the Russian Federation.

On crossing the State border an under age citizen of the Russian Federation going together with at least one of the parents can leave the Russian Federation using his/ her own foreign passport or being inscribed into the parent’s foreign passport, in this case the photo of a child under 6 is obligatory. Together with this the child’s photo and the settlement of children inscribed into the passport must be sealed by the body which issued the passport. Parents who leave the Russian Federation with the under age children and have passports with different last names are advised to have documents stating the relation degree (birth certificate).

If an under age citizen of Russia leaves the Russian Federation without parents, adoptive parents, tutors or trustees, he/she must have a notarized consent of the mentioned above for the departure of an under age citizen of the Russian Federation supported by the dates of departure and state(s) he/she is going to visit. The consent from one of the parents is enough, unless the second parent manifested the non-agreement for his/her children’s departure.

Visa Information:

On entering the Russian Federation all persons are supposed to have visas in all cases, but for:

  • Citizens of the Russian Federation
  • Citizens of CIS, with the exception of Georgia and Turkmenistan
  • Citizens of the states with which the RF signed an agreement of non-visa trips

Russian entrance visas can be received in the Russian consulate or embassy of the country of residence. To do this one must get an official invitation from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) or commissioner tourist or commercial firm.

Candidates must produce an invitation from friends, relatives or business invitation; the documents must be registered by the corresponding organizations.

Foreign citizens and persons without citizenship can exercise transit pass through the territory of the Russian Federation to the country of destination by all means of transportation only on presenting the Russian transit visa, entrance visa to the countries which appear to be contiguous with the Russian Federation on the itinerary of travel, or visa of the state of destination and tickets valid for departure from the Russian Federation or confirmed guarantee of their purchase on the connection point on the territory of the Russian Federation.

The official site of the Border Service RF —